1960s

The new campus opened in 1961 to great public interest, with over 6,000 turning up for the opening ceremony. Two months later, Rev. Allan Burrow commenced as Principal and brought rapid change. The curriculum was realigned to make external academic recognition possible, with students able to take the Melbourne College of Divinity Diploma of Theology, Dip RE, and BD subjects alongside the BTI Diploma. A greater diversity of subjects was introduced.

Enrolments continued to grow, with 176 students by 1963. More classrooms and the library were built. Autumn and Summer Schools in Christchurch and Auckland commenced. 

In 1965 Allan Burrow resigned, and within two months Rev. David Stewart was appointed Principal. The changing demographic of students was recognised with the construction of the first four family flats on campus in 1968. 

buildings construction 2 1959 to 1960_edited.jpg
Buildings construction 1959 to 1960_edited.jpg
Buildings Open Day 1961.jpg

Opening Ceremony 1961

OpeningCeremony1961A_edited.jpg

1961

  •  The official opening of the new Henderson campus on 18 February 1961 is attended by around 6,000 people. 

  • Rev. Alan L. Burrow appointed as Principal. Previously founder of the Adelaide Bible Institute. 

IMG_20220302_130419_edited.jpg
IMG_20220302_130429_edited.jpg

1961

  • Curriculum realigned so Diploma course runs parallel to requirements of Melbourne College of Divinity awards of Licentiate of Theology and DipRE, enabling externally accredited study. 

  • Short-term Bible Schools are initiated in Summer, Winter and Autumn around NZ. 

Buildings Open Day 1961 inside.jpg
P1016055.JPG
P1016052.JPG
IMG_20220330_150105_edited.jpg

Rev. David G. Stewart

1965

  • Rev. David G. Stewart appointed Principal. He serves in that role for 24 years. 

  • The first four family flats are built on the Henderson campus. 

1967

 A third year of study is introduced for students wanting to complete the Bachelor of Thelogy (accredited by the Melbourne College of Divinity). 

P1016027.JPG
P1016029.JPG
P1016028.JPG
P1016054.JPG

 Lincoln Road 1960s 

How is Laidlaw College equipping leaders for Church and Society today? Click here to find out more
Laidlaw Logo-horiz-white.png