The 1950s saw a greater engagement with the NZ Christian public, with Principal John Deane publishing his Bedside Series of devotional booklets, and introducing “The Editor’s Bible Class Notes” in The Reaper. Deane and other staff were involved in continuous Convention ministries.
Student applications steadily increased, and two new dormitory wings were added in 1953 and 1956, but still some students had to be boarded out or refused admission. In 1957 the search began for land that could accommodate growth, and an orchard site in Lincoln Road, Henderson was purchased. Construction was well underway in 1959 when John Deane, his daughter and grandson, were tragically killed in a car accident at Huntly on 21 December of that year. Rev. John Pritchard stepped in as Interim Principal.
“But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”
Land is purchased on an orchard site of 19 acres in Lincoln Road, Henderson. The Queen Street building is sold to the Salvation Army.
Construction of new campus in Henderson commences on 12 January 1959.
Rev. John Deane, his daughter Grace and her infant son, are killed in a motor accident in Huntly on 21 December 1959. Lecturer, Rev. John Pritchard, is appointed Interim Principal.
The Reaper Cover, June 1955